When Photojojo sent me their weekly newsletter showcasing their latest finding, the Fisheye, Macro, and Wide Angle Camera Phone Lenses, I was quick to paypal!
Here is the breakdown of the cost and read their full review on their website here:
Fisheye Lens: $25.00, Macro/Wide Angle Lens: $20.00, Both: $40
Each lens comes on a mini lanyard with back and front lens covers.
When I first took them out of the package, before you can use them, you have to mount the sticky-back lens mount to your camera. THIS was tricky and I used up all but one of the rings that came with the lenses:
Sticky-back Magnetic Lens Mount
You must position the ring JUST RIGHT or you’ll end up with blurry or lens rimmed shots. Also, you need to keep the area clean as it attracts dust and pet hair easily (as seen in my photo).
After you adhere the sticky-back magnetic lens mount, you can play around with your lenses!
The Fisheye Lens
The Wide Angle lens unscrews into a Macro lens, so 2 for 1!
Here is a camera phone shot without the lenses:
Without Lenses in indirect outdoor lighting
Fisheye Lens: The lens rimmed shot is unavoidable for me...
Notice the black lens rimmed shot? Not pretty… Because the camera is located near a curved edge of my iphone, the lens mount isn’t positioned evenly around. Thus, the black lens rimmed shot.
Wide Angle Lens: There is minimal black lens rimmed shot here.
Macro Lens: I love the bokeh of the macro lens.
The same shot lensless.
Here are some indoor lighting test shots. Please note there is natural backlighting from the windows:
Camera Phone without a lens
Fisheye: Note the black lens rimmed shot.
Wide Angle: Shoots with more depth to include the entire shelf length and paper stand.
Macro: I LOVE THE MACRO! Look at the glitter specs it picks up on my Copic Spicas!
- Works with most phones
- Can maximize the range of your camera phone.
- Strudy and magnetic parts so you can keep track of them easily.
- Travels better than a DSLR
- Fun & Artsy
- The Macro takes great shots indoors and outdoors
- The Wide-Angle lens is perfect for shooting scenery or group pictures
- The Fish-eye shoots dreamy & artistic pictures
- If you have an iphone DSLR camera app, the lenses would be a perfect addition!
- Doesn’t work with Slide Phones
- Depending on where your camera is located, you could end up with black rimmed shots.
- The Wide Angle and Fisheye do not shoot clear shots, more of a hazed dreamy shot.
- They come with 2 sticky-back magnetic lens mounts per lens, so once you use them up, that’s that.
- The indoor shots with the Wide-Angle and Fisheye yield yellowish results, as with any camera where you can’t adjust the white balance.
So, are you going to take the plunge??? I think it’s worth it for the macro shots alone!
EDA: These work wonderfully with the iPhone 4. If you lose or replace your phone and you need new mounts the Photojojo team will send you 3 replacement rings/mounts for $3!