SCSer dot2dot started THIS THREAD on splitcoaststampers dot com and I felt compelled to share!!!! You can read the entire 7 page long thread or read my blurb here!
“I would like to hear what the rest of you do to save money on supplies. Here are some of my ideas:
I save the left over bits of rubber/foam after I cut stamps and use instead of pop dots and for shaker frames.
I make my own ink pads by buying the old SU style blank pads and filling with SU reinkers. (ATRS has pads in their dollar store called Comotion that are identical to the old SU pads for $1 each).
I mix SU mist cleaner 1 part to 5 parts water in my spray bottle (50 cents at Wal-mart in the travel cosmetic area) and it cleans just as good.
I buy paint trimmer pads to use as stamp scrubbers. Added bonus: They don’t shed.
I also buy photo foam mounting tape instead of pop dots.
I buy dry wall tape at Walmart instead of Magic Mesh. You can emboss it, brayer it and it runs about $2.50 for enough to last a lifetime.
I buy cosmetic sponges and cut them up for sponging.
I use Walmart red glue roller tape and Walmart Crystal 3-D effects ($1.50 a bottle).
I made my own wheel guide by using pop dots under a ruler.
I use Walmart Georgia Pacific cardstock. It is fantastic, thick and very white.
I buy Perfect Ink Refresher all the time instead of reinking pads and pens. It will extend the life of your inkpad about 4 times longer instead of reinking all the time.
I buy clear envelopes in bulk from www.clearenvelopes.com
You can buy metal edge tags at Staples in the shipping department for hardly anything.
I use fishing lure round plastic stackable holders for embellishments from Walmart sporting goods dept.
I color my own eyelets and brads by dipping in clear nail polish and then embossing powder and heating.”
Here are some more:
- Melstampz designs her own designer/background paper! You can do this with your millions of stamps on the cheap!
- HeartHugsDesigns uses $1 Spot Target paper!
- Godelieve makes a point to challenge herself by using scraps of paper every Sunday.
- Laura uses old greeting cards to make new repurposed cards! Try this with your oldies as well!
- Sarah found a nifty new way to upcycle a brown paper bag!
- Old cardboard/box can be your best embellishment friend 🙂 Look here too!
- Reuse those old coffee cup sleeves!
- Claudine Hellmuth uses scrap fabric to use as collage elements in her projects!
- Keep your eyes peeled for FREE DIGI STAMPS!!!! LOOKIE HERE TOO!
- Use transparencies instead of SU window sheets.
- Use an ATG gun.
- Don’t skimp on buying a quality paper cutter! The Making Memories trimmer has a self-sharpening feature that will save you (and has saved me) tons of money on replacement blades.
- Reuse cello bags. You can even reuse the ones that products come in!
- Use old fake flowers instead of primas.
- The best detail scissors are those in the medical supply section of a store!
- Buy your storage items at office supply stores/home improvement stores. They won’t be pink and pretty, but they’ll be the same!
- Offray ribbon is sold at wal-mart! If you don’t need a bunch of ribbon, try it out!
- Split shipping with your friends or combine orders for free shipping. Just make sure everyone pays their share 😉
- Always use coupons at Mike’s and Joann’s! I never want to see you all purchasing something there without a coupon!
- Cruise the dollar store for a crimper.
If you have more tips for Stamping on the cheap…let me know and I’ll add them!